Thursday, April 17, 2008

Michael Emerson

I’ve had to think long and hard about what I would like to say about Wallace. Wallace was a man like no other; he was a best friend and the most genuine person I have ever known. Over all the years I’ve known Wallace, I don’t have a single memory of him being in a somber mood. No matter what the situation, Wallace always found a way to inspire me, to encourage me, to motivate me. I don’t know how many times I have thought to myself, “If only I could be like Wallace in attitude and demeanor, nothing could hold me back.” Unfortunately, I don’t always have the self-control to stay as calm, cool, and collected that Wallace exercised every second of every day, every day of every year. But perhaps the most amazing aspect of Wallace was his passion for living. I’m pretty sure that every morning in his life was started with a smile and the thought that “today is going to be a great day.” Not only was he an incredible role model to me, he was an inspiration to everyone that knew him. Wallace touched so many people; it’s absolutely incredible. Listening to the all the wonderful accounts of his life have made me feel so honored and proud to have known him.
I was one of the fortunate ones to get to spend a lot of time with you, Wallace. The hundreds of days spent ridding together, the countless hours on planes, in cars, vans and trucks traveling the world, the shenanigans that took place in hotel rooms across the country, the long summer days on the golf course under the amazing Colorado sunshine, these are my most cherished memories, memories that I wouldn’t trade for anything.
To Weems...I did not know you well, but in spending so much time with Wallace, it feels like you are a part of me now, too. It was obvious that Wallace was so proud of his father’s love for the mountains. In our travels to New Zeeland, I remember Wallace telling me stories of your own travels to NZ during the younger days of your past. Wallace was thrilled to be following in your footsteps and having the same experiences, and I was thrilled to be sharing the same experiences with him. Thank you for everything that you gave Wallace, and in turn gave to me. No father could be more proud of his son!
To Nancy…Wallace’s love for his family was seen in his interactions with you. Wallace was truly a “momma’s boy” and he loved you very much. It was incredible to watch Wallace go out of his was to have an amazing relationship with you and the rest of your family. Every time I come to your house, you are always so hospitable. Whether you it’s making snacks for us before golf or feeding me a late dinner after gymnastics, you always make me feel like and extended member of the family. Thank you for that, and thank you for everything that you gave Wallace. No mother could be more proud of her son.
To Patrick and Ben…I don’t think I have ever seen three brothers with such a tight relationship. Although very different individually, the three of you came together like peas in a pod. Wallace’s love for his two brothers was insurmountable. Thank you for all the experiences I have shared with you guys, and thank you for being such a big influence in Wallace’s life. No triplet could be more proud of his brother.
To the rest of the family and all the friends…Thank you, too, for being a part of Wallace’s life. The outpouring of support for the family has been incredible, and equally as inspiring as Wallace. No person could be more proud to have known Wallace.
TO WALLACE…Thank you for everything that you gave me. You were an incredible inspiration in my life, and every day I aspire to be more like you. There isn’t a day that passes that I don’t think of your smiling face. I love you so much, and I am grateful that I will be able to keep you in my heart forever. Thanks again for everything, and I hope the snow is good!

P.S.
To Sharky, Alex, and Will…Thank you for your incredible accounts of your memories with Wallace. The maturity portrayed through your words is breathtaking. I only wish that I had such great wisdom at that stage in my own life.

No comments: