Thursday, April 17, 2008

Alex Bogle

Fellow skiers, snowboarders, friends and family I stand before you privileged to honor Wallace B. Westfeldt today. I am Alex Bogle, one of Wallace’s older cousins and have been blessed to be apart of Wallace, Patrick, Ben, Nancy and Weems life since I was born.

God granted Wallace an unbelievable gift and he used it with such passion and vigor. Wallace is an artist of the truest sense and the mountain was his canvas. He did so many spectacular things on his snowboard that caused millions of people to be in AWE over!!! This was made very apparent by the hundreds of people that attended his service on the snow. Each and every one of us touched by the magic of Wallace.

Wallace, although surely not planned, hoped for or expected, was separated from his earthly body doing the very most favorite thing in the world for him. Very few of us will get to choose our passing out of this life on earth. So many people die as a result of crimes, war, drunken drivers, disease, famine, cancer – each one a tragedy – but none of them in pleasant surroundings…doing what they loved to do and be. Wallace’s last breath was doing what he LOVED. In reality, he worshiped God doing what he LOVED doing…being what God wanted him to be. How many people ever end their days on this earth doing what they absolutely LOVED.


- I ask myself how would Wallace want me to portray him, you all know his accolades in Snowboarding but I want people to know how beautiful of a human being he is and always will be. I want people to know that Wallace was the type of person who lit up a room when he walked into it. I want to celebrate Wallace because Wallace enthusiastically celebrated life everyday. A perfect example of this:

Making best of every situation - Brownie Eating Contest

Patience – Teaching snowboarding

Compassion – His relationship with his Mother and Father

I am so incredibly proud of the man Wallace had become. He was my angel on earth and now he is our guardian angel in heaven. Wallace, Patrick and Ben are brothers to me, I may be older than they are, but it is me that looks up to each of them. Thank you, Wallace, for making me a better person. Thank you for being my confidence and courage on the mountain. You are my best friend, you are my brother!

Every day when we are up on the mountain, if you look for Wallace you will find him. Everyday you are on the beach, if you look for him you will find him. He will always be with us. Wallace will always be in my heart. I LOVE YOU WALLACE and I want everyone to honor Wallace by celebrating each day of their life as Wallace did.

No comments: