Thursday, April 17, 2008

Will, Alex and Oliver: young riders from the club (AVSC)

From Will Adams

I heard a quote once. It went like this: “What lies behind us, and what lies ahead of us, is nothing compared to what lies within us.” I believe Wallace is what lies within us. What lies behind us is this awful event that has happened to this wonderful person. Wallace was a friend as well as a fellow snowboarder and my role model. I know that he wouldn’t want what lies behind us to negatively affect what lies ahead of us. I never really got to know him until this summer when he went to Windells with me. Before that though, I always saw him on the mountain and even though I didn’t really know him well, he would always put a smile on my face to match his. I am glad I got the honor to know Wallace. Now I believe this quote should go a different way. I think it should go like this: “What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us is nothing compared to what Wallace has put in our hearts.

From Alex Goldsmith

I have so many great and amazing memories of Wallace but this one really stands out in my mind as incredible. It is from about 5 years ago when I first started with the AVSC snowboard program. I did not know Wallace yet but I guess you could say I already looked up to him. I had heard so many stories about him being an amazing snowboarder and more importantly, a person that I was dying to meet. The day I finally met him was the day of a preseason trip to Copper Mt. I have always been a shy kid so I was a bit nervous because everyone I was traveling with was much older than me. Somehow I was lucky enough to end up sitting next to Wallace for the drive. He talked to me and asked me about myself. I’m sure it wasn’t very enjoyable for him because I probably wasn’t very talkative but he sure didn’t let me know that. I remember that night going to bed with a sense of relief knowing that I had finally met him. Him being the most amazing person I have ever met and my only true hero. That whole trip I learned more from just riding with Wallace and talking to him than I had the whole season before that. There was no way that doing anything with Wallace could end up dire because he had the most amazing outlook on life. Any day was incredible with Wallace. Thank you Wallace for all the amazing things you have taught me about life and snowboarding.



From Oliver Bacharach

Weems and Nancy...I wanted to let you know you had the best son anyone could ask for, a great snowboarder, nice, and one of my biggest role-models and still is. All of my prayers are to you and your family. I cannot even imagine what you are going through. Wallace was a great kid I just wish I could have spent more time with him. I still think about him and the times we had together every day, every minute. I, and everyone else, loved him so much, and he will always be with us. You did a great job on raising such an amazing kid. Wallace will stay an inspiration to me for years to come.

No comments: